20 things you might not know about the founder and namesake, Rhea Lana Riner
Did you know that Rhea Lana’s Children’s Consignment events have been happening for 20 years now? That’s a lot of families who have benefited from the great deals at Rhea Lana’s for two decades! In honor of that, here are 20 things you might not know about the founder and namesake, Rhea Lana Riner.
1. What's an interesting fact about your childhood? My dad was am Army officer. So by the time I was 18, our family had moved 22 times. That means I went to four high schools, two of those being in Germany.
2. Since you traveled so much growing up, what was your favorite place that you've lived? Definitely Germany! Living there made it easy to travel and see other parts of the world. My parents did a great job of integrating German culture and language into our home. It was really a neat experience that shaped our family.
3. What kind of relationship did you have with your brother and sister growing up? I’m the oldest so I was always looking out for them. I wanted to stay close with them as we relocated every time. At every new place, my brother made friends first and I got to piggy back on that. We joked that he made my friends for me. My sister is 10 years younger than I am, so I was her favorite babysitter. She did always do what I said to, which made babysitting fun for both of us. When I decided to franchise my children’s consignment events, I needed someone who I knew would follow my lead and to imitate exactly what I had begun. I called my sister up and of course, she was willing to do it! She owned the very first franchise of Rhea Lana’s and still runs it successfully in Northwest Arkansas. Both of my siblings actually own franchises of my business, so we are still very close.
4. What's your current favorite Starbucks order? Right now, I’m loving a latte with almond milk and sprinkled cinnamon on top.
5. You just had your first grandbaby, even named after you! What’s your grandma name to baby Lana? Nonna
6. What are you looking for at the next Rhea Lana's event for baby Lana? I am on the hunt for Kickee Pants sleepers. They are made out of the softest bamboo cotton and are super cute. Perfect for that sweet girl.
7. What fall fashion trend are you most excited to try this season? Velvet mules, is that what they’re called? I’ve seen some that slip on without the back, and I’ve got to get a pair.
8. What's your favorite part about fall? I love decorating my house for fall. I like the decor, but mostly I like that I always do it with a group of friends. They come over and we spruce up inside and outside with pumpkins and mums.
9. What's your favorite childhood memory from this time of year? When I was young, my parents took us apple picking at local apple orchards. I can still remember filling my basket with my find.
10. I know it's a little early, but what's on your Christmas list this year? Dave is so sweet to understand how humbling and exciting it is for my business to be talked about in published print. So I have already asked him to do like he has before and frame the magazine article about Rhea Lana’s that was in Forbes magazine this year. More than that, I’m looking forward to having my kids all together. Time with family, especially now that my kids are grown up with lives of their own, is such a gift!
11. If you could be better at one thing what would it be? I am so not artsy. In elementary school when it was art class day, I would make up every possible reason to not go to school. I must’ve faked a headache or stomachache dozens of times to get out of art class. When it didn’t work I just cried through class. I wanted to be good. I wanted to draw that 3-d square, but I just have never been able to pull it off.
12. What's your favorite restaurant? Mike’s Place in Conway
13. Do nothing or do everything on vacation? I am a do nothing girl. I work hard in my career and at home every day. So when I get time off I enjoy sitting on a beach, reading a book, and unwinding with exercise.
14. What are you good at that most people don't know about? You might think I’m all business, but I’ve been pleased to prove that I still have baby whispering skills! It’s been a joy to become a grandma, but Lana can be fussy and demanding at times. Hey, she’s a newborn; that’s what newborns do. I’m beyond thankful that I am close enough to hop in the car for a few hours and arrive at my daughter’s doorstep to help her by giving a hand with Lana. That’s where my heart is, even in my business, helping moms navigate and enjoy motherhood. I love encouraging young moms in any way that I can, and what a treat that now I get to share that with my oldest daughter.
15. What's your favorite way to relax? In my demanding schedule, I have to find ways to regularly unwind. Exercise does this for me. If I’m stressed, I’ll go on a run to clear my head and relax a little. I also enjoy jazzercise.
16. What's a city where there's not currently an RL event that you wish there was? Of course I’d love for every mom to have access to volunteering her time to hang with other moms, making money by selling their outgrown items, and saving money by buying the next stage’s items at one of our events. Seriously, what a dream for every mom to have a Rhea Lana’s event within driving distance. One city that I’d love to find a franchise in next is St. Louis, Missouri. Any St. Louis moms out there ready to start it up let me know!
17. What's your favorite bath and body works candle right now? I never buy candles for myself. It seems like I’m always gifted yummy smelling candles that get me through till the next gift. I am enjoying pumpkin scented anything right now though.
18. What can we catch you sipping throughout the day? My neighborhood market where I shop has two flavors of La Croix. I’ve decided I like the tangerine, poured over crushed ice. It takes a little getting used to, but it’s better tasting than water and better for me than a route 44 of Diet Coke.
19. Are you thinking about getting the iPhone x? Is that the next thing after the 7? I guess that’s a no then if I’m not sure what that is.
20. What's a funny memory from the first few years of RL's?! We have so much fun at Rhea Lana’s events. Part of the fun is never knowing what crazy thing a mom to be will do. The funniest one I can remember is that at one presale, a mom’s water broke while she was shopping. We simply could not convince her to set her items aside to go have her baby! We promised we’d hold them for her later in the week. But she insisted that she could squeeze in buying them before the baby made its entry a couple hours later. Looking back, I’m still shocked that we haven’t delivered a baby at an event yet.