What You Need to Pack in Your Diaper Bag for Baby and You
Going out for the first time with your newborn, especially when you’re on your own that first time ‘round, can be an overwhelming thought. I know… I’ve been there. Part of the reason I wanted to write this was because I wanted to encourage new moms. While that first time may seem overwhelming, trust me when I say that it does get easier. In fact, once you’ve accomplished your first trip out with baby, you’ll likely feel empowered, and rightly so! Getting out of the house when life is consumed by all the responsibilities that come with a newborn is a HUGE accomplishment.
Organizing your diaper bag is the first step to success on excursions with your baby. While you’ll probably forget to pack a few necessities that first time ‘round, you’ll soon find your groove and know exactly what you need to pack every time you head out the door.
Choosing a Diaper Bag
When it comes to choosing a diaper bag, think about your lifestyle. Are you a fashionista? Do you love spending time outdoors? Who else, besides you, will be carrying and using the bag? Do you want your bag to look and feel more like a purse? All of these questions and more will help you choose the right bag.
Once you have your bag, it’s time to fill it up with everything you’ll need. Here’s a handy dandy checklist to help you pack for your first of many trips out.
Diaper Bag Essentials
When it comes to the essentials of what you’ll need while you’re away from all the conveniences of home, I’ve broken it up into 4 main categories.
- Diapers – Always take more than you think you’ll need.
- Butt cream
- Changing pad
- Changing pad
- Bags for soiled diapers
- Hand sanitizer
- Small wet/dry bag – This can come in really handy if clothes are wet or soiled.
- 2-3 extra outfits for baby
- Nursing cover
- A few extra nursing pads
- Water for mixing
- Bottles – When it comes to bottles, formula, and water, always take more than you think you’ll need, even if it’s only a quick trip out. We recently made a trip to the grocery store, almost leaving without a bottle. Boy, am I glad we decided to go ahead and pack one because sure enough, our car broke down. Life happens, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Burp cloths
Health and Comfort –
- 2 or more lightweight blankets/receiving blankets
- Heavier blanket if it’s cold outside
- Pacifier with clip
- Nasal aspirator
- Medicine with measuring tool or medicine pacifier – Gas relief drops, Infant Tylenol, teething tablets, etc. (Please consult your physician before using.)
- Extra socks
- Jacket or hoodie
- Rattle or small toys
- Teething toys
You – Don’t forget to also pack your own essentials, basically anything you’d have in your purse or wallet.
- Mints or gum
- Feminine hygiene items
- Phone and charger
- Medicine for you
- Water bottle
- Extra hair ties
Are you feeling a bit more prepared for your first trip out? Even if it’s a trip to the store, it can still be refreshing to step beyond your own front door for a change. Having what you need will help you worry less and enjoy it more.
Still on the hunt for a diaper bag and necessities to fill it up? Why not shop a Rhea Lana’s sale? You can find all upcoming sale information here!
Have I left anything out? What else would you pack in your diaper bag?