FUN Exercise Ideas for Busy Moms and Families
When to fit in regular exercise can feel like a daunting task, especially when you already feel stretched to the max. Let’s face it, life is busy, and from personal experience, there are times that exercise is the furthest thing from my mind.
Lately, though, I’ve been reminded of the importance of taking care of myself and the importance of living a healthy lifestyle. We’ve been in the process of changing our eating habits, as a family, for the last year to year and a half. While I did try to exercise and practice yoga while pregnant, all of that has taken a back seat since the baby was born. I’m probably writing this more as a good swift kick in the booty for myself than anyone.
Exercise can be fun, though! It doesn’t have to be this dreaded thing we feel obligated to add to our schedules. It can be absolutely FUN and involve our families. Our doctor reminded my husband of this when she strongly suggested that we not exercise on our own… She doesn’t even want us going to the gym. Knowing how much we love the great outdoors, she wants us spending time outside together.
So, I’ve come up with a list of ways that busy moms (dads too) and families can exercise together. (Of course, always consult your physician before embarking on any type of exercise regimen.) Hooray for family fitness!
1. Simply go for a good, brisk, 20 to 30 minute walk together. Grab the stroller and hit the road.
2. Go hiking! You could even add geo-caching into the mix here. Find a local spot you’d like to explore, and hit the trails together.
3. Go rock climbing together at an indoor/outdoor center.
4. Kick the soccer ball around, play a li’l family game of basketball, get out the badminton rackets and net, throw the Frisbee around, or even play a game of football together.
5. Go swimming! Or if you don’t have a pool, get out the water guns and have a good old-fashioned water fight.
6. Your kids may look at you like you’re crazy, but do a hilarious exercise video together. One that comes to mind is Sweatin’ to the Oldies. Be silly and have fun with it!
7. Put together a family fitness challenge with a required number of sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc. A little healthy competition will definitely get the exercise ball rolling.
8. Why not get out your bikes and hit the bike trails or even the street/s in your neighborhood? Go for a bike ride! We’re lucky in our area to have both paved trails and mountain biking trails to ride.
9. Get out your roller skates (or ice skates) and go skating!
10. If it’s wintertime and there’s snow on the ground, go sledding. There’s nothing quite like climbing up that hill a million times after a quick ride down. And if you live in an area where skiing’s possible, go for it!
11. Dance together! Whether you’re dancing around the kitchen to tunes on the radio or playing Just Dance, get your groove on, ‘cause dancing is amazing cardio!
12. A family that works together stays together. Do manual labor together. Get out and get that yard work done, build something, plant something, or fix something that needs fixing. Whatever project it is, do it together, and put your heart and soul into it.
There are so many things you could do together to fit exercise into your busy schedule. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it’s fun, and it may just turn out to be something you look forward to instead of dread. And if you’re looking for things like bikes, backyard play equipment, a stroller, etc… Be sure to shop your nearest Rhea Lana’s Event!
Have more exercise ideas that are fun for families? Share in the comments!