15 DIY Advent Calendars Your Kids Will Love
Christmas time’s a comin’! And every year we love to celebrate this season with our family tradition of an Advent calendar.
Just a little background on Advent… The Advent season includes the four preceding Sundays leading up to Christmas. While the meaning of Advent is so much more than just a countdown… For those who celebrate Christmas, it actually is a really special way of celebrating the season and counting down all of the days in anticipation of Christmas.
We used to put together an Advent calendar with mostly little treats. Last year we really switched up the focus of our Advent calendar, though. We went from a focus on gifts or treats to a focus on quality time and activities we could enjoy together throughout the holiday season. While some of the activities are simpler, allowing for busier days, many of the activities we fill our calendar with are geared toward creating happy holiday memories together.
Below are several ideas for a DIY Advent calendar of your own. Find the one that fits your family and run with the idea!
1. Our Activity Focused Advent Calendar, over on Adventures of Mel, creates so many special Christmas memories. I’ve included a free printable with 50 ideas for Advent activities your family can enjoy too!
2. Coffee with Us 3 shares a DIY Cheap Advent Calendar made out of toilet paper rolls. So resourceful and cute!
3. Organized31 shows how to make a super Easy Homemade Advent Calendar using envelopes and Sharpies.
4. Fill up a basket with Brown Paper Packages with this festive idea from Homework.
5. Love, love, love this idea for a 25 Days of Christmas Acts of Kindness Printable from Le Chaim!
6. Get your kids involved in the holiday magic of creating their own story with a Silhouette Advent Calendar from Adventure in a Box. Such a sweet idea!
7. If you’ve ever drooled over the LEGO Advent calendars, drool no more. Little Bins for Little Hands shares how to make your own LEGO Advent Calendar 25 Days of Christmas Countdown. So awesome!
8. Help your kids create their own very visual Christmas Tree Advent Calendars with this idea from Crafty Kids at Home.
9. Powerful Mothering shares the cutest DIY Boxes Advent Calendar with a Free Printable!
10. Have a child who loves to read stories together? This is such a cute idea! Make a Story Book Advent Snowman with Adventures of Adam.
11. Betsy’s Photography shares such a meaningful idea for a DIY Photo Advent Calendar that will familiarize young children with extended family.
12. Not very crafty and don’t have a lot of time? Red Ted Art has the perfect solution with her Super Simple Advent Calendar using festive paper cups.
13. What’s Up Fagans shares an idea for a 25 Days of Christmas Advent Calendar that is both religiously educational and full of Christmas memories just waiting to be made.
14. Encourage kindness among siblings with this fantastic Sibling Kindness Advent Calendar from What Do We Do All Day.
15. Stumped on what to put in your Advent calendar? KC Edventures shares 100 Activities for Your Advent Calendar, including free printables!
However you choose to celebrate this holiday season, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season!